Seeking youth to serve on KASA National Advisory Board May 4th, 2018
The Kids as Self Advocates (KASA) Project of Family Voices, is seeking youth with disabilities & health care needs to serve on our National Advisory Board. We are seeking youth with a disability and/or health care need, between the ages of 13 and 26 to serve on the all-youth volunteer Advisory Board, which is responsible for strategic planning for the growing project, program planning, activities and outreach. KASA works to help support youth to have control over their lives and future through peer-support and training, changing systems to include us and educating youth about their rights.
The Advisory Board meets monthly, by teleconference, via a free conference line or by video conference.
Advisory Board members are expected to spend about 2-4 hours/month on KASA activities and projects
Opportunities for travel to attend or present at conferences or meetings are occasionally available to those KASA board members who are interested. When possible travel expenses will be provided in advance; all travel will be reimbursed.
If you meet the following qualifications, please complete the application. We are looking for:
- Youth with a disability and/or health care needs who are between 13 and 26 years old
- Youth who can make a commitment to be on the Board for 2 years
- Youth with some leadership experience
- Youth who are enthusiastic about leadership and advocacy
- Youth who are interested in learning more about disability history, culture and rights
- Youth who can work as a team member and who are interested in understanding more about how a project works
- Youth who are connected to an advocacy or youth group in their community, state or another national organization and/or who are willing to make a commitment to do so.
KASA is a growing network, sharing information through our website and email, on issues that interest and are important to young people with disabilities & chronic health conditions. KASA membership is free and open to anyone who works with and cares about youth with disabilities and/or health care needs.
Send completed applications and inquiries to the address, email or fax below:
KASA/Family Voices 3701 San Mateo Blvd., NE, Suite 103
Albuquerque, NM 87110
KASA National Advisory Board Member Expectations
- You must participate in KASA Advisory Board calls [1-2 per month]
- You must actively participate in our social media efforts including, but not limited to posting content, commenting on content posted by other KASA members and staff, and sharing posts on your own timelines and groups.
- You must write at least one article or submit a resource to the website each year, or create content for at least 2 social media posts.
- You must check your email at least once a week or call someone to see what you missed.
- We work under an Annual Operating Plan that we develop. You must work on one project a year.